While we have been discussing the many uses of the ever-versatile substance that is vinegar for a while now at Caring Senior Service, today we want to highlight some of the more niche uses of it for the elderly that one might not think of on a daily basis. While vinegar does not kill all germs found on kitchen counters, such as staphylococcus aureus, it kills many that would be common on other surfaces we are regularly in contact with. It is prudent for the elderly or caregiver to consider vinegar as a cleaning agent for:
- The germs that will build up on a C-PAP mask. Upper respiratory infections are all too common in obstructive sleep apnea patients who infrequently or ineffectively clean their masks. Letting it soak in vinegar throughout the day is an added plus.
- Running vinegar through the humidifier of an oxygen concentrator will kill bacteria that are often present in it.
- Soaking a nasal cannula in vinegar when it is not in use is an effective, out-of-the-box way to keep it clean.
- The remotes on lift chairs and in-home hospital beds can easily become contaminated by germs on a daily basis. By mixing one part vinegar to three parts water, you or your caregiver has an affordable way to clean them.
- Vinegar can also be used to combat the odors associated with an incontinent patient, so consider mixing a solution of the same ratio to use on hospital bed mattresses or wheelchair cushions as a substitute for the harshness of bleach.
- The same ratio of solution can be used on doorknobs and other surfaces that are touched frequently and need disinfected regularly. As an added bonus, the acidity in vinegar will the bring the shine right back out in those surfaces!
- Vinegar is also effective on a mouth swab of a patient needing oral care as a substitute for other cleaning solutions if the patient is sensitive to them.
Keeping an area decontaminated is always important, but it is even more so when the health of an immuno-compromised patient is at risk. Stay posted, and we will continue to provide you with practical and efficient remedies for every day issues that will arise as you strive to protect your loved ones.
At Caring Senior Service we are always ready to help seniors and their families by providing professional advice and services. As you consider ways to give support to your aging parents or relatives, consider including us in your plans. Contact our care team today!